Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Cheezy Broccoli Cauliflour Rice Stove Top Casserole

Cheezy Broccoli Cauliflour Rice Stove Top Casserole, broccoli, Vegan cheese, dairy-free, casserole, one pot, stove top, broccoli cheddar,
This, my friends, was a quality day. Despite getting a lovely little Valentine's Day cold from my faux niece (who sneezed in my face), I was able to successfully manipulate a recipe to be completely dairy-free! It came our better than I imagined it would be.

Somehow, between walking the aisles of my local super market and reading the recipe on my phone, I missed that the recipe required a can of "cream of chicken soup". Which isn't something I can eat. Luckily, I'm fairly good at improvising. Being sick has never been ideal for me. I mean, it's not for anyone but I definitely lose my train of thought and interest a lot faster than normal. I skip important steps in task, etc. This one turned out for the better though.

The pictures taken are from today because I cooked until around 9pm last night trying to pack up my life for the week. It took so much longer due to the wheezing and huffing about throughout the day. Did I mention, I'm not a sick person?
Cheezy Broccoli Cauliflour Rice Stove Top Casserole, broccoli, Vegan cheese, dairy-free, casserole, one pot, stove top, broccoli cheddar,
Having a cold or, God forbid, the flu always makes me want comfort food. I was around cookies, cake, chocolate and everything butter related all weekend due to a two year old's birthday. Add Valentine's Day on top of that and you've got a double whammy. I couldn't indulge with my allergy so I decided to go all out and create an imitation cheese casserole. Here's the full recipe from my cold fighting heart to yours:

Serving Size: 4

1 Tbs olive oil
1 small onion (1 cup)
2 clove garlic
3/4 cauliflour rice (Trader Joe's has this pre-made)
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 can cream coconut (I used Trader Joe's)
1.5 cups chicken broth
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup Daiya cheddar style shred (extra to sprinkle on top)

1) Place olive oil in the skillet and let heat. Add onion, garlic and raw chicken to the olive oil and cook on medium until chicken begins to brown.
2) Add cream coconut to the skillet and allow to melt. Mix in the cauliflour rice. Once mixed, add the quinoa and chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes on medium to thicken and be absorbed by the quinoa and cauliflour.
3) Next, add the cup of cheez. Stir to melt. Add broccoli last and cook until broccoli softens. About 2-4 minutes should be perfect, especially to help the sauce thicken.
4) Lastly, I sprinkle a little later of the quinoa in top with some additional cheez. I also put it in the oven on broil un the top layer of cheez has melted and crisps up.

Recipe adapted by Jo Cooks
Cheezy Broccoli Cauliflour Rice Stove Top Casserole, broccoli, Vegan cheese, dairy-free, casserole, one pot, stove top, broccoli cheddar,

No comments:

Post a Comment