Monday, July 27, 2015

It's the Men these Days-- or is it Us?

How to Marry a Millionaire Diner

"I don't think it's us. It's the men these days. 
 They're all getting more nervous, especially the loaded ones."

As I sat down to watch one of my favorite oldies (but a goodie), How to Marry a Millionaire, I was thinking about how I'm not the kind of gal who goes hunting for a man. Never the less, a well-off one. In fact, I skipped out on Happy Hour early tonight excited to come home to my quiet 1 bedroom cottage apartment filled with houseplants and thrifted finds.

I'm just not the kind of girl to go out prowling through the night in search of a man-friend. I'm the kind of lady who meets her 1 girl friend early in the evening for a glass, or a bottle, of pinot with an order of pan-fried bacon and brussels sprouts. Only to heads home right afterwards to read my library book before bed. 

Looping back to Marilyn, Betty and Lauren now. These ladies are out on the town every night looking for a rich man. After months of hard work, the moment they let their guards down and push away their expectations, three men eventually fall into their laps. They simply crossed paths. Not to mention, one out of the three of them ended up being loaded! 

What I love about this movie is, well, it's a great deal more modern for it's time. Three working women living together in a grand apartment that they can't afford, even with their salaries combined. They have fun sipping champagne on their expensive balcony rental, talking about their hopes and dreams, gossiping about the elite and thinking that "It's just the men these days" that are the problem with marrying not them. Though, to be fair, (just between us girls, of course)... it may always be the men. I do enjoying blaming them just for teasing sake but think about it. Even in 1956 they were thought of as "nervous". Imagine what we're dealing with today. 

To be honest, I can't really blame them. We've been working on women's equal rights for decades. We're still fighting for equal pay. We need to be open to the fact that men might not understand what we want. Personally, I love a man who holds the door open for me, walks me to my door at the end of the night and will gives me his arm when I'm walking on a cobble stone road in high heels. I also happen to love "me-time". I like being annoyed while I put together my ikea coffee table and appreciate the ability to binge watch Gilmore Girls after a long day at work. In my mind, I'm not asking for the world. I'm just asking to be adorned. I don't necessarily know if it's fair to ask to have our glass half empty and half full but maybe if we let our guards down every once and a while we'd find someone willing to compromise. We could actually fall for someone who'll be willing to try. 

There's something so romantic and present day in the last scene when they're all sitting at the bar of a burger joint mocking each other and just having a great time together. A wonderful time, with wonderful friends and wonderful unexpected meet-me-in-the-middle husbands.

I think I might just give it the old college try. What say you?

Note: I wrote this post on May 22, 2015 but didn't publish it. It's a personal/lifestyle post that I was nervous to publish because it's on a personal level that I don't generally talk about. I decided to publish it earlier this month because I think there are other single women that have a constant internal battle deciding if they even want to try a compromising relationship because it's so out of the norm of their quiet quant life. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Would you want read more posts like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment